Trip Advisor

Founded in 1884 by Louth Naturalists',
Antiquarian and Literary Society
Registered Charity No. 1145436

A Local Independent Museum
Nationally Accredited
Quality Assured Visitor Attraction

A New History of Early Louth

Richard Gurnham was born in Skegness and was educated at Skegness Grammar School and Nottingham University where he studied Economic and Social History. Richard obtained his BA in 1971 and a PhD in 1976. He has lived in Louth since 1977 and taught history and politics at Louth’s King Edward VI Grammar School. Richard has worked for many years as a part-time adult education lecturer taking local history courses in many different towns and publishing numerous local history studies. Richard is an enthusiastic supporter of Louth Museum.

Read Richard Gurnham's 'A New History of Early Louth and the Surrounding District' in instalments here.

Chapter 1: Prehistoric Louth Part 1

If one stands on the bridge over the river Lud on Bridge Street in Louth today, one is standing very close to where the ancient prehistoric trackway called Barton Street once entered Louth and forded the river, as it ran north-south along the eastern edge of the Wolds... read more

Chapter 2: Prehistoric Louth Part 2

The acquisition of metal-working skills from about 2,200 BC – the principal defining feature of the Bronze Age – is marked by a relatively high concentration of metalwork finds in some parts of the county... read more

Chapter 3: A Roman Louth?

When the Revd. Robert Bayley, a local Nonconformist minister, published Notitiae Ludae, or Notices of Louth, in 1834, he noted that a great many Roman coins had been found in the town in recent years, spanning almost the entire period of the Roman occupation... read more

Chapter 4: The arrival of the first Anglo-Saxon settlers

In the fourth century the area which we now call Lincolnshire, together with much of the East Midlands, was part of one of the four provinces of Roman Britain, ruled from Lincoln. However, towards the end of the century the number of Roman troops in Britain began to be reduced.... read more

Chapter 5: The South Elkington Cremation Cemetery on Acthorpe Top

While walking over a field on his family’s farm in the late autumn of 1946, about a mile from Louth, on Acthorpe Top, Mr Stubbs noticed that recent ploughing had thrown up a large number of flint nodules in one corner of the field, very close to the South Elkington-Louth parish boundary..... read more

Chapter 6: The people of the cremation cemetery

It is difficult to know what to make of the number of grave goods found with the cremation urns at South Elkington; the quantity was relatively small and this might mean that the Anglo Saxon settlers in this area were a rather impoverished group. Anglo- Saxon urns usually contain two types of finds..... read more

More Instalments

Coming soon...

Enjoy England Museum Development East Midlands Heritage Lottery Fund Art Fund Arts Council Acredited Museum